Monday, November 24, 2014

The Basketweave Flowergirl Dress


Last month my cousin Michael and his lovely wife Joy got married in Maine. And I was honored to be asked to create a flowergirl dress for their daughter Chloe. Joy sent me fabric swatches and links to her pinterest inspirations and told me to have fun.

 Immediately I knew that this dress needed to have a full tulle skirt. I did a pattern of two royal blue and one sparkly lavender. Then I trimmed the skirt with lavender satin ribbon.


I layered a blue satin skirt under the tulle for warmth and modesty. :)


It was hard to decide what kind of bodice to make. I pondered and pondered and finally had a flash of inspiration when I chose to do a basketweave design. This was my first time working with this technique and I am so happy that I went for it!


The sleeves stood up around the neck for a little royal flair.


Finally, I crafted this little satin rosette for the waistband. A diamond in the center added an extra touch of sparkle.


Little Boy Blue is only a day older than Chloe. He was a very willing fit model for his twin cousin who lives on the other side of the country. Here he is showing off the dress's coordinating headband and petal basket.



I had so much fun making this fabulous dress. Thank you Joy and Michael for sharing the beautiful photos from your wedding and having confidence in my ability to pull this off! Mazel tov!




No comments:

Post a Comment