Thursday, November 28, 2013

Chanukah in the Chouse: Night 1

Last night was the first night of Chanukah and we started The Festival of Lights off deliciously. I decided that, this year, we will do something for each night of Chanukah. Earlier in the week, Miss Belle helped me get it all set up.

I've seen so many cute advent displays for Christmas and thought it would be fun to reinterpret that idea for Chanukah. So we made an Eight Nights of Fun Menorah to help us celebrate this year.

I started by drawing a menorah on poster board. It's not prefect, but it doesn't have to be.


Then Miss Belle cut out nine blue candles- eight for each night of Chanukah and one for the Shamash.


She also cut out nine flames from fabric to light the candles.


Then she painted the menorah gold.


She painted her fingernails gold too.


While Miss Belle worked, I cut out eight small rectangles, folded them in half, and numbered them one through eight.


On the inside of each number card I wrote a fun Chanukah activity.


Once the paint was dry, we glued on our candles and flames...


...And hung our menorah on the wall.


As it got darker yesterday, the girls got more and more anxious to see what was inside #1.


Finally, at sundown, I let them look inside.


Making latkes!


We fried those bad boys up.


That's a plate full of heaven.


I bundled the kids up.


And we took a plate over to our next door neighbors.


Alas, they weren't home. But, that just meant more latkes for us. 

Then we lit the menorah.


And enjoyed the rest of the first night of Chanukah. Happy Chanukah and Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I think I'll try it with Aiden next year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the animal menorah - we have a macaroni menorah P. made in daycare if you can believe it!

    ReplyDelete