Monday, August 19, 2013

Fashion Refashion: Busted Zipper to Lace-Up Dress



My lovely next door neighbor Kait came to me recently with a common, yet frustrating, problem. The zipper on one of her favorite summer dresses was broken and needed fixing. She gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted to her dress- just make it wearable again! So for the next installment of Fashion Refashion I am going to show how I took Kait's busted zipper dress and turned it into a cute lace-up dress.


Look at this sad, broken zipper.


Don't get too attached to it. That sucker needed to come out. I grabbed my handy seam ripper and started pulling out the stitches.



It was a long zipper so it took awhile. But, finally, it was out!


Using my white fabric chalk, I made marks an inch apart on both sides of the open seam.


All the way up.


The top of the dress was coming apart a bit so I reinforced it with two lines of stitches.


Then I made a small buttonhole at each of my white marks.


And used my seam ripper again to cut each buttonhole open.


I had some cream colored ribbon that I thought would look pretty with Kait's dress. I fed it through the buttonholes to lace it up.


And that was it! An easy peasy modification to make this summer dress wearable again.


Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment