Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Daisy Gifts: A Two-for-One Tutorial

This afternoon my Daisy Girl Scout troop has the last meeting of our first year as a troop. I'm feeling a little sentimental. It has been such a delight hanging with these 10 kindergartners (soon to be first graders!) all year. To mark this momentous occasion, I decided to make a little end of the year gift for each of my Daisies. Daisy button hair clips and fabric envelopes. Personalized, of course. And now I'm going to show you how to make these pocket-size gifts for the little blossoms in your life.


I began with the hair clips. For each girl in my troop, I made a fabric covered button and painted her initial on it. You can find button-covering kits in most craft stores.



For each flower, I cut six pieces of ribbon. The ribbon I used is a silver metallic braid. I usually run a lighter over the ends of ribbons to prevent fraying. This metallic ribbon definitely needed it! After singeing the ends, I turned each length of ribbon into a loop with the help of my handy glue gun.



And then glued the six loops together into a flower shape.



In the center of each flower, I glued a small circle of felt on the back and a button on the front.


I have found that it is much easier to glue two pieces of felt together than to try to adhere ribbon or buttons to a metal hair clip. So I glued another small circle of felt between the two prongs of the alligator clip. And glued my two felt circles together. Be careful! That hot glue really burns if you get it on your fingers.


Ten little Daisy button hair clips.




Miss Belle wanted to try one on. (Miss Bloom doesn't know that I made these. She can be surprised with the rest of her troop.)



I'm a fan of a nice presentation, so after I finished the hair clips I thought it would be sweet to make a little fabric envelope for each one.



I drew a pattern (A) so that my envelopes would be 3 1/2" wide, 3" tall, and have a 1 1/2" long flap. Then I made a second pattern (B) to give myself a 1/4" seam allowance. It has a total height of 9" and a width of 4"



For every envelope, I cut one piece of blue outside fabric and one piece of pink inside fabric from Pattern B.



Then I pinned them together, right sides facing, and stitched around the outside. Leave the bottom open so you can turn it right side out!




Clip the corners.



Turn your envelope right side out and press it flat.


But what about that bottom edge?
Fold the end inside itself, press it flat, and stitch it closed.


Almost done! To make the envelope shape, I simply folded the bottom up until I reached the triangle.



And stitched around the outside.

 
To close the envelope, I added a button and buttonhole. If buttonholes aren't your thing, you could always attach a little velcro.



And, for the final touch, I painted each girl's name on her envelope.



I love personalized gifts and can't wait to give these to all my Daisies!









No comments:

Post a Comment